Meet Our Midwives
This is one amazing team.
At Minnesota Women’s Care, women have the option of having their birth attended by a midwife or an physician (MD). Some women choose to combine the two options by having a midwife oversee their prenatal care and a physician attend the delivery. The choice is yours.
Our entire team works closely, so your care is consistent from visit to visit. Our goal is to make sure that you have the best possible care throughout your pregnancy and delivery.
Our midwives are Certified Nurse Midwives, meaning they have completed additional study and are trained specifically to provide pregnancy care.
Or phone 651-600-3035
What our moms say:
- It's been a wonderful experience with Heather! This is my 2nd pregnancy with in 2 years and I could't have chosen a better midwife.
- Heather DeJarnett is one of the best provider I have seen at MN Women's Care. Highly recommend if you ever have any issue with GYN.
- My wife was recently seen by Heather DeJarnett. Heather gave knowledgeable information and very thoughtful towards our needs and wants.
- Heather is wonderful! She made me feel very comfortable during my first visit. I can't wait to see her again!
- I am blessed to have been seen by one of the very best provider at MN Women's Care. Heather DeJarnett was very thoughtful, direct and informative. I feel that after my visit all my concerns and worries was answer and taken care of. Kudos to Heather!!
- This is an amazing clinic! I find it such a cute place to go to for my midwife/doctor appointments. All the staff are very welcoming, respectful, understanding and patient (: . I would recommend any women at this clinic for their needs ! (:
- My wife and I recently welcomed our first child into the world and had such a great experience thanks to Minnesota Women's Care. We had the opportunity to see 3 different and great midwifes and doctors throughout our 37 week adventure. These 3 women made our experience throughout the pregnancy fantastic, while answering all our questions and making sure we were prepared (as prepared as you can be for your first!).
- Minnesota Womans Care Woodbury is amazing! The office is super clean and everyone is so friendly. I had the pleasure to meet all the midwifes during my pregnancy and loved having Heather DeJarnett be the main midwife I went to. She always made me feel like no question was dumb during my pregnancy and always managed to find the perfect words to make me feel comfortable with the different changes that were going on during my pregnancy. She even managed to make it into the hospital to see how I was feeling after my labor and that shows her true passion and love for her job! Hands down Heather is an amazing midwife and I’ll be recommending many to be moms to go to her.
- My first two babies were delivered by Elizabeth Radford. The care that the midwives gave me and my family was EXCEPTIONAL. As a brand new pregnant mama, I was heard. I was not looked down upon for wanting to go into labor spontaneously and have as minimal intervention as possible. I was confident that in the event that an intervention was medically necessary during birth my midwife was more than capable not only “handle it” but to make necessary decisions to do the best for the baby and I.
- I had a wonderful experience under the care of Sara Brown for the birth of my third child. Her calm, kind demeanor and patient presence made me feel relaxed and safe throughout my labor and delivery, and helped me have a successful unmedicated VBAC. I received excellent care before, during and after delivery. I am thankful to have found Sara Brown!
- I had such an amazing experience with Minnesota Woman's Care. This was my first pregnancy so I was very nervous going into it but the staff is top notch! So friendly and knowledgeable. I ended up being high risk so I met with the ultrasound techs once a week and they are just the sweetest people and my midwife, Heather, who delivered my baby was amazing! I met with all the staff during my pregnancy and I don't have a bad thing to say about any of them! I'll def be going back for my next pregnancy. My son was born Dec 15th... a healthy baby boy!
- I have been going to Minnesota Women's Care for a couple years now. I first went when there was only one MD and a couple of midwives. It has been exciting to see how it has grown. I started going to MN Women's Care for basic annual care and have stuck with them through my first pregnancy. The care they they provide is top notch.
I love the option of seeing a midwife throughout pregnancy care and have had wonderful experiences with both Heather and Andrea. I have had more ultrasounds than most pregnant women generally get because of some complications and the ultrasound staff have been amazing too. I love that the tech's can communicate to you what they see and you don't have to wait to be told by the doctor. When I had complications the tech I saw at the ER couldn't tell me anything, not even heartbeat, that was scary (I do understand why she couldn't). When I went back to MN Women's Care the next day the ultrasound tech showed me exactly what she was looking at and what she found. That alone ensures that I will come back to MN Women's Care as long as they offer services. They really make you feel like you matter and that your concerns are real when you have them.
- I love it here. Rachel Gates is the best. She gave me answers right away. It feels like we have so much in common that she can be my older sister. The nurses there are also the best. They're all friendly. Dr. Ott was the one who delivered baby. He is also the best. Stitches me up after my c section. He did a good job at it too.
- Every single person I encounter here works with a sense of professionalism and compassion for their patients. I'm especially blessed to be working with Lindsay Nelson who has made keeping up with this pregnancy a wonderful experience. I HIGHLY recommend this clinic and any one of their providers to any expectant mother!
- Julie Ann is very kind and understanding! She was very kind and helpful. She was not judgmental at all and I felt like she listened to everything I said and did a great job explaining everything to me that I asked about!
- I have had a great experience with Minnesota women's care at all four locations. When I was going through an ectopic pregnancy they were the most attentive out of all clinics I reached out to. They helped me through every stage including surgery. Naturally when I got pregnant again I went back and was able to meet many of the doctors and midwives. Now I am about to deliver my first child and am so excited!
- Rachel was very informative and patient with all my questions. She made me feel at ease with all of my uncertainties as a first time mother.
- From my first experience to my most recent I have felt very well cared for. I am very relaxed about the whole process and have faith that my baby and I are well cared for.
- Today was my 34 week OB appointment with Heather. Heather is such a comfort to me and addresses my concerns confidently and thoughtfully. I've had so many great experiences with Heather, including the care of my first pregnancy and delivery of my daughter. Trusting Heather with my care has been easy and even fun!
- I saw Lindsay Nelson, Dr. Rice, and Ilana Farb during my pregnancy at MN Women's Care. All three of them truly made feel cared for and comfortable during my pregnancy experience. I felt at home every time I stepped foot in the clinic. I couldn't have asked for a better care team. The front desk staff nursing staff and ultrasound techs are professional kind and made me feel comfortable as well. I will never go anywhere else for future pregnancies. Thank you for an amazing experience!
- I love this clinic it's nothing like my previous OB care in such a cold clinical setting with hundreds of staff. MN women's care is comfortable and with a small staff that are very personable and make you feel comfortable. This midwives Liz and Sara are who I generally see for ob care and they are so personable make you feel comfortable.
- Heather at Minnesota Women's care is amazing! I feel so comfortable around her she listens to my concerns and addresses them.
- The only place I will ever go for my pregnancies! Love MNWC!
- We had just recently moved back to Minnesota in May of 2018, because we were expecting our second little boy and our realator is actually the one who recommended MWC to me. Our first birth was a little traumatic for our family and he ended up in a c-section. So, when I got to MWC and initially met with Rachel Gates (CNM), there was a lot of reassurance, encouragement and support through that appointment. Being a type 1 diabetic, I wasn't sure that they would want to take on a high risk pregnancy, but instead they were more than supportive and ready for the road ahead.
[...] The whole staff at MWC is so nice, they get to know you and treat you and your family with such respect and kindness. If you have any need, I would recommend MWC as your place to go. MWC is the only place I will be going to during future pregnancies.
- There is something so different about midwifery care that I was drawn to right away with all three of these women -- Sara Brown, Robyn Cox, and Elizabeth Radford. Right away I felt heard, cared for and in very skilled hands with them. Having midwives who considered my unique birth history and were committed to supporting my specific birthing needs, both emotionally and physically, was irreplaceable. Even though labor is very difficult, under the care of a skilled midwife like these women, it doesn't need to be traumatic.
- Every provider I've met with has been amazing. my favorite is Rachel Gates. would definitely recommend.
- Love love love this clinic. Followed my midwives there after the birth of my first baby for my second. All my visits were in Woodbury MN and Hudson WI. I have nothing negative to say. Robyn Cox and Liz Radford were the midwives I worked closely with. Robyn delivered my first at a different hospital and Liz delivered my second!
Meet our Midwives
Certified Nurse Midwife
Heather has been a part of the delivery experience for many women in the Twin Cities first as a labor and delivery nurse and later as a midwife. We're so pleased she is now a part of our practice. She shares our passion for providing expert care to women during pregnancy and delivery. The enthusiasm she brings to her work is really inspiring. Her personal experience and her expertise as a nurse and certified nurse midwife makes her a great support to pregnant moms of all ages.
Julie Ann Vingers
Certified Nurse Midwife
Julie Ann comes to Minnesota Women's Care with a robust background in all facets of nursing and women's health including well-women gynecology, family planning, antepartum, and postpartum care. Many women know her through her years in both the Allina and HealthEast systems as well as her work as an instructor and professor.
Certified Nurse Midwife
Rachel completed her first degree in Spanish studies and biology. She quickly returned to school and completed her Master's in nursing and earned her certification in nurse-midwifery. During her educational journey, she gained a ton of experience in many different aspects of women's healthcare.
Certified Nurse Midwife
Lindsay has extensive experience includes all phases of labor and delivery, NICU, and women's reproductive health. Before becoming a midwife, Lindsay worked for more than 10 years as an NICU nurse and labor and delivery nurse. She has a passion for supporting women throughout their pregnancy journey.
Certified Nurse Midwife
Sara brings an incredible depth of experience to her role as a nurse-midwife. Her career started nearly 20 years ago first as a doula then as a nurse on HCMC’s Labor & Delivery unit and Midwife unit. Her desire to become a midwife came after witnessing hundreds of women gracefully labor and give birth under the watchful eye of a midwife.
Certified Nurse Midwife
Elizabeth's background has a full range of experience in labor and delivery, midwifery, and women's health care. In addition, she has been an educator for both childbirth and lactation and has served in management roles to lend her expertise to policies, protocols, and practices in the medical aspects of delivery. She has been recognized for exceptional service and dedication to pregnant women and new families.
Certified Nurse Midwife
Fartun was an experienced RN in a range of medical environments before she went back to school to earn her Doctor of Nursing Practice degree in Midwifery from University of Minnesota. She is passionate about working with women throughout their lifespan but is especially honored to provide care and support to women and their families during pregnancy, birth, and postpartum. Fartun speaks, writes, and understands Somali proficiently.
*These midwives are familiar to many women from their years of experience in Hudson, Wisconsin. They recently joined Minnesota Women's Care and we're so pleased to be able to offer their extensive experience and knowledge to our patients
More about Midwifery
What is a midwife?
The word ‘midwife’ means “with woman”. A midwife provides care that reflects her deep understanding of a woman’s needs and that of her newborn throughout the intricate process of pregnancy, labor, and birth. She also provides care and support through the days and weeks following birth with mothering and breastfeeding support. Our midwives are equipped to help guide and support women through many stages of life including pregnancy.
Midwives Model of Care: Woman-Centered
The Midwives Model of Care is based on the fact that pregnancy and birth are normal life processes. The Midwives Model of Care includes:
- Monitoring the physical, psychological, and social well-being of the mother throughout the childbearing cycle
- Providing the mother with individualized education, counseling, and prenatal care, continuous hands-on assistance during labor and delivery, and postpartum support
- Minimizing technological interventions
- Identifying and referring women who require obstetrical attention
The application of this woman-centered model of care has been proven to reduce the incidence of birth injury, trauma, and cesarean section.
A Healthy and Safe Delivery
Having the birth experience that you desire is of high importance to us. Having a healthy and safe delivery for you and your baby is of foremost importance. Our midwives' years of experience provides the ability also to identify abnormal conditions in a mother or baby which would indicate need of further care and consultation with our obstetrician (MD) when necessary.
Weekend Warrior Childbirth Prep Classes
Our own team of experienced midwives and labor and delivery nurses teach our birthing prep class. This is the perfect place to find out exactly what you can expect. Call us for details on the next session.