What is Urogynecology?
Urogynecology is an established specialty that focuses on female pelvic floor disorders – a combination of gynecology and pelvic reconstructive surgery. Urogynecologists are OBGYNs who become specialists with additional years of fellowship training and certification in Female Pelvic Medicine and Reconstructive Surgery (FPMRS).
Though Urogynecology as a specialty is relatively new, the Minnesota Women's Care team has extensive experience working with women to resolve a full range of urogynecologic conditions. We pride ourselves on listening to our patients and providing top-notch care second to none. Here is what some of our patients have said:
What our patients say:
- Love Dr. Gerten, she has been extremely helpful in my care and diagnosis. I have experience improvement and my quality of life is much better since I have seen her.
- Minnesota Women's Care offers very extensive care for every woman and their needs. The facility is always clean. The staff is always friendly and helpful. I myself go weekly for Urostym treatment for my Pelvic Floor Dysfunction. This treatment has been very beneficial for me. Dr. Ashford is so knowledgeable about every aspect of a women's body. I would HIGHLY recommend him to every woman.
- I have had incredible results working with Dr. Ashford and his staff. Before meeting with him I had been dealing with severe pelvic pain for over two years. Most doctors, even specialists, did not know how to reduce my pain level. I had tried many therapies and nothing had worked until I met Dr. Ashford. After a few months working with him and his therapy and medication treatment I have seen a dramatic improvement with my symptoms. These people really know what they are doing and are patient and compassionate enough to take the time to listen and explore the many options that can help you. I highly recommend you give Minnesota Women's Care a chance to help you feel your best!
- I could not have asked for a better surgeon or care team.
- My experience with Dr Ashford has been very positive in getting me back to good health after my surgery. I have had two surgeries with him and good results. Dr Ashford and nurses are a great team in providing healthy experience. Rachael, Andrea have done the uroystem treatment with me great success along with others that have assisted. I love Women's Care and have referred others to the clinic. Very helpful and supportive. Thanks.
- Dr. Gerten is an excellent physician! Dr. Gerten has a wonderful bedside manner, I felt as though she really cared about me as a patient. She kept me well informed, did a great job with educating me about my surgery, as well as doing a fantastic job with my surgery. I am very appreciative and grateful.
- Dr. Ashford is the best! Being a doctor that is both a gynecologist and an urologist he has been able to help me solve all of my issues, not just some of them. Even when I was questioning what was going on, he has remained calm and has always had a plan. He also has explained everything in a way that I could understand.
- I love going to the MN Women's Care clinic and Dr. Ashford is the best of the best that there is! He is very caring, knowledgeable and very passionate about what he does.
Dr. Ashford delivered my soon in 2009 and when I found out he had his own clinic in 2013 I just had to have him as my doctor again for my second child and third child. His team is so amazingly wonderful and very friendly and I love that you can just chit chat about things you have in common with them or everyday life. I have recommended this clinic and Dr. Ashford to all of my family and friends. The facility is beautiful and very clean! Wait time and scheduling was excellent when they first opened and as time went on they became busier as a growing clinic and wait time and scheduling was some times longer and further out which is understandable as a growing clinic, but I called towards the end of Dec. 2017 and couldn't get in to see anyone until the end of Jan 2017 which I just think is too long of a wait to see someone. Overall I wouldn't go anywhere else, but here. I really appreciate what Dr. Ashford has done here for all Women and thank you to his family for sharing him with the world!
- I hope you are still around for my daughters when they are older as I still tell my friends and family about you! Thank you for everything. I wish there was a way I can tell the world what you did for me. God Bless you.
- I received excellent care from Dr. Ashford and nurses to provide treatment for ongoing excessive bleeding. I underwent an endometrial ablation procedure, which was quick and relatively easy. Since the procedure, I've had no problems, no pain, and no bleeding. Dr. Ashford's team was professional and caring and helped me to feel comfortable.
- Dr. Ashford makes sure to give multiple perspectives on any issue and is pro individual. He and the staff are of the highest quality and would strongly recommend the facility to any expecting couple.
- Dr. Ashford is a brilliant and kind physician. It's worth the wait to see him. After some years of pelvic pain, he put me on a path of therapy and treatment that has ultimately totally alleviated it completely. His expertise is invaluable and I hope more doctors can be influenced by his advanced and wholistic approach to women's care.
- Finally Found a Dr. that listens to me as an individual. I have unique pelvic issues and Dr. Ashford is helping me along the road to recovery. Finally someone that doesn't just practice cookie cutter medicine. Everyone there is nice an helpful. I love that the nurses answer the phone and usually don't have to wait for answers to questions. Well worth the drive. I understand having to wait to be seen because all his patients have their needs met.
- From February 2013 to November 2013, I worked with Dr. Ashford's staff with use of the In-Tone device to strengthen my pelvic floor muscles. It was a very good experience, and I still use the device. This is a great alternative to try for bladder leakage.
- I came to MN Womens Care in desperate need of help. Dr Crabb was the first doctor to really listen to me, to hear my complex symptoms and work on solutions. He is an excellent surgeon who gave me back my body from the adhesions and endometriosis scars that had developed over many years. I credit Dr Crabb and his staff for giving me the best experience I have had with the medical profession in years. Thank you.
- I am so lucky to have found this clinic. I wanted a gynecologist that was knowledgeable in bioidentical hormone treatments, almost impossible to find in the twin cities. With Dr. Ashford, I discovered Sottopelle, and it changed my life. I sing the praises of this therapy to every woman I know! He left no question unanswered for me. Sottopelle brought me into the clinic, but now I come here for all of my healthcare needs. Thank you so very much.
- A huge thank you to Dr. Ashford for the last surgery to remove scar tissue that was messing things up and causing me pain everyday. I am now back to myself - feeling great & active - and no pain!!
- I love Dr. Ashford he is the best of the best that there is! He is very caring, knowledgeable and very passionate about what he does. I have recommended his clinic and Dr. Ashford to all of my family and friends. I really appreciate what Dr. Ashford has done here for all Women and thank you to his family for sharing him with the world!
- I really like my provider Dr Ashford and his partners. The front desk staff always greets you with a smile and a warm welcome the facility is always clean and location is assessable if taking a bus. Scheduling and wait times are good if can't get in with primary you are always offered to see someone else. My treatment has always been excellent and geared to benefits my needs at the time. With that being said I need to call to schedule an appointment. Thank you.
- Dr. Ashford and his entire staff are outstanding! I just had surgery and couldn't be more impressed about the care and compassion I received from Dr. Ashford. He really took time to listen to my concerns, answered all my questions and was great at informing me about my options. So glad I made the phone call to get a 2nd opinion from him. I'm thrilled to have a Dr. that wants me to feel my best!
- I have been seen quite a bit by both Dr Ashford (during my pregnancy with twins and with other women's health issues) and Andrea Brockberg (for all of my yearly appointments) and love both of them!
- So much to say about this guy, but a huge thank you to him is needed! He is wonderful! After being in pain for over a year and assuming it was b/c of having children and getting older - he put me through some tests and found all of my issues. Now I am feeling great and loving life again! Besides Dr. Kelly - He is the BEST! I have recommended him to many of my girlfriends who are having issues and so excited for their appts with him. Thank you Dr. Ashford!
- Everyone has been so knowledgeable and skilled, especially with my tipped uterus :) Any time I've had questions, they've always explained things well to me, and feel like I can ask them a question any time. I had a surgery with Dr. Ashford and everything went great, thanks to his skill. Highly recommend this clinic!
- Dr. Amy Kelly has been our OB-GYN for the past 8 years and my husband and I cannot say enough good things about her. She is a highly skilled and competent practitioner and surgeon. We have recommended her countless times to friends and family, whether it be for OB services or to have surgery, and never once has she disappointed. Whether it is a highly complex surgical procedure or the attentive care needed during pregnancy, Dr. Kelly exceeds expectations in all that she does.
- They are awesome at his clinic .. and he did a very good job on my hysterectomy. And after care. He fixed my life...thanks.
- I enjoy coming to Minnesota Woman's Care because I feel like I am getting the best treatment possible and the staff makes me very comfortable. Dr. Ashford figured out what was wrong with me and why I was in so much pain when no one else could. He was with me through my whole pregnancy and even after. I feel like I am very well taken care of and I would highly recommend Dr. Ashford to any woman.
- Dr. Ashford is an excellent physician with impeccable surgical skills. I was so lucky to find him.
- Dr. Ashford and staff are absolutely top-notch. He treated several conditions I had with excellent results and corrected some mistakes other physicians had made. I didn't have to to go Mayo although I had thought about it. I found exactly what I needed at MN Women's Care. No matter what your condition, don't hesitate. Make the call for an appointment. You won't be disappointed.
Being an older woman like me doesn't mean we have to go through life ashamed, hopeless, or even ignorant about our own bodies. Dr. Ashford and staff treat women who have lots of different issues. They restore hope, dignity and make life full of possibilities again for things you may have thought were hopeless. I am so happy I go there for treatment.
- Doctor Ashford and his staff gave me my life back and I would recommend them to anyone dealing with OBGYN needs. He worked with me for many months and really listened to and understood me, he also personally preformed surgery on me in April and found the right medication for my endometriosis. A million thank you's to EVERYONE at the clinic, from the people answering the phones, all the way to the nurses and Doctors Ashford, may God bless you all.
- Dr. Ashford was very comprehensive in his treatment plan options, and came up with a plan tailored to my needs. It's a great practice, and I feel like I'm getting access to a team with excellent knowledge.
- I recently had surgery performed by Dr Ashford to correct some prolapse issues. I was extremely impressed with his level of competence and caring throughout the process. I totally trusted him,the surgery was a total success at this point with followup appointments scheduled to make sure I have healed correctly.
He is an exceptional surgeon who cares personally about each of his patients. I definitely recommend Dr Ashford to any women with pelvic issues.
- I went months thinking that I had chronic bladder or vaginal infections. I took tons of antibiotics. Dr. Ashford told me that it was not an infection, but possibly a pelvic floor problem. WOW, I never would have guessed, and took the extra time to teach me about my issue. Pain free now, and I have worked with so many providers at the clinic besides Dr. Ashford. Andrea, Torri, Erin,,, so many kind and professional people here to help.
Again, thank you so much.
- I made an appointment with Dr. Gerten based on a referral. I already had high expectations, but Dr. Gerten surpassed these expectations. What more could a patient ask for?
- Dr Ashford is the best surgeon in the state of Minnesota dealing with Womens pelvic issues. He uses state of the art methods and gives you very individual care. He really listens to you. His staff from the moment you walk into his clinic treat you with the best service possible and always make you comfortable. I love going to this clinic!
- I was very impressed with my results of the surgery. I have had no further issues and this had been a ongoing problem for years. Dr. Ashford is s very caring and concerned doctor, I feel that he always takes my concerns serious and he is very knowledgeable. I have recommended him and the clinic to several people.
- Not sure how many people can say that they followed Dr Ashford from Allina. Andrea has been my OB provider since 2002. I have seen many of the MNWC providers in my time and Dr Ashford delivered both my children. I absolutely love this family and the care they give. Dr Ashford has a wonderful mission! Thank you all.
- Dr.Gerten made me feel very comfortable and reassured me to not feel embarrassed. she took the time and was very thorough with explaining everything.
What makes Urogynecology at Minnesota Women's Care special?
Urogynecology is a relatively new specialty and because of that, there are few providers in the Twin Cities in comparison to other medical specialties. Minnesota Women's Care has more board-certified urogynecologists on staff than any other practice. In addition, because of our commitment to providing the most personalized care to each of our patients, our providers offer a level of care that's distinctive in its own right.
Minnesota Women's Care has three urogynecologists on staff: Dr. Melvin Ashford, Dr. Kim Gerten and Dr. Emily Myer. The cumulative education and experience of this group of physicians is second to none.
Experience and Training
Each of our physicians brings a unique perspective to the care we offer.
Dr. Ashford was one of the first board certified urogynecologists in the state of Minnesota and has a 17-year track record of clinical and surgical
Dr. Gerten was the Director of Urognecology for Park Nicollet for 8 years. She has vast clinical experience and research history.
Dr. Myer completed her Urogynecology (Female Pelvic Medicine & Reconstructive Surgery) fellowship at Johns Hopkins University in Baltimore, MD – one of the top three Urogynecology fellowships in the United States.
In addition to traditional services, Minnesota Women's Care offers a contemporary gynecological services such as laser therapy, RF energy services, and PRP to augment or fill in the gaps of traditional care. This results in extremely high patient satisfaction and success.
PELVIC FLOOR DISORDERS
What conditions are treated by Urogynecologists?
Urogynecology is the diagnosis and treatment of pelvic floor disorders which involve the complex system of muscles, ligaments, connective tissue, and nerves that help support and control the rectum, uterus, vagina, and bladder. Damage to the pelvic floor can occur for any number of reasons including childbirth, repeated heavy lifting, chronic disease or surgery.
Women with pelvic floor disorders typically experience these kinds of symptoms:
Urinary incontinence: loss of bladder or bowel control with leakage of urine or feces
Prolapse: descent of pelvic organs; a bulge and/or pressure; “dropped” uterus, bladder, vagina or rectum
Emptying disorders: difficulty urinating or moving bowels
Pelvic pain: discomfort to the lower back, pelvis or bladder and/or urethra
Overactive Bladder: frequent need to void, bladder pressure, urgency, urge incontinence (difficulty holding back urine when having the urge to urinate)
Fistulas: abnormal hole between the vagina and rectum (recto-vaginal), vagina and urethra (urethrovaginal), or vagina and the bladder (vesicovaginal)
Remember: Surgery is NOT the only answer.
Our urogynecologists offer a number of non-surgical options that have helped many women find relief from troublesome symptoms. These treatments include in-house pelvic floor therapy, platelet-rich plasma injections, vaginal treatments (like Femilift, Thermiva and Geneveve), urethral bulking procedures, and Urgent PC. We’ll work with you to find the right solution.